Thursday, August 15, 2013

No-name Hexapod

During several monthes of AI and mechanical preparations, I didn't manage to find a name to this robot. This is not a problem as I just started building it, but I hope I'll find a nice acronym before it starts walking.

For now, let me introduce the no-name Hexapod. My goal is to build a neural network controlled hexapod which will be able to learn gait patterns and select the most adapted gait. The first goal is that the hexapod can learn omni-directional and static gait patterns. Once this is achieved, I'll try to make it chose between gaits  depending on its environment.

This is a real challenge for me as I'm not used to work on AI. I followed some courses on coursera.org but even if I learnt a lot, there is still grey areas. Some people like David Miller lighted up some of them but a lot of work remains.

The hexapod will have a perimeter of 1 metter and will use 18 Hitec HS-485HB. It will have a circular body made up of Plexiglas and divided in two disks separated by the height of the servos.
An SSC-32 servos controller will be fixed in the body. For now I do not think about on-board computer and battery as it might slow down my work. I'll use an usb to rs232 wire and a main supply at start and when everything will works I'll go for a Raspberry and a LiPo battery.
The legs will be made up of Plexiglas (thighs and shins) and I bought servos brackets in anodized aluminum to build the hips as I can't manufacture such things (at least not really precisly).

My goal for now is to obtain a walking hexapod before September.




No comments:

Post a Comment